Betrothal to 'Mrembo' on an eventful Business Trip: Part 1

6:50 am 0 Comments


It was Tuesday, the 9th of June and we were off by 10 AM on a scheduled business trip to Embu. The trip was not without its highs as we navigated over smooth roads and through beautiful hills with lush green grass and fascinating landscapes.

It hit me just how little we value the wealth of beauty that our country Kenya has to offer. Indeed, what I saw was true to the word magical. 


As we cut a path towards our destination, i was able to appreciate the great diversity of people from different backgrounds. Some people would find it strange to see ox-driven carts on the roads competing ably with the Probox vehicles. I was  astonished at the simplicity of the people of this remote areas.


After 1 and a half hours on the road we had arrived. The meeting had already started. A large crowd had already arrived to listen to the proceedings. 


Being the restless soul I am, 3 hours in , i took to my feet to explore the surroundings. I was in the middle of nowhere and in all honesty i was not worried. The cool, fresh air was a reprieve from the hazardous air that we were forced to inhale in the city. The greenery was a sight for sour eyes. Its a shame that the same could not be replicated in the concrete jungle.


I soon found myself wanting for a meal. It had been 4 hours since we arrived and the only thing in my belly was 4 slices of supa loaf bread and a mug of Dormans coffee. Taking a quick look around me I started getting a bit worried. There was no place in sight that resembled a hotel. Despite this i held my faith in my uncanny ability to locate food. I headed to my left. Suddenly, i could smell the intoxicating scent of freshly cooked chapati and i knew that there was hope. My eyes drifted to the building up ahead and the words 'Mummy Hotel' jumped out at me in bold green letters.' NIMEFIKA' i thought to myself with a sly smile. My gut had not disappointed me. 


When I reached the counter a cheerful middle-aged woman stood there rolling the dough into rounded pieces.


'Is there any food, available' I inquired. She gave me a casual glance and informed me that only chapatis and tea was available. 


I could not afford the luxury of refusing such a meal due to my rumbling stomach. Unfortunately, i only had money in my Mpesa and being in a remote area, I highly doubted the availability of an Mpesa agent.
I shared my concerns with the lady and she promptly called out 'mrembo' her daughter from the back of the kitchen to assist me in locating the Mpesa agent.


'Mrembo' rushed out from the back wiping her wet hands on the 'leso' she had around her waist. 


Unfortunately, the word 'mrembo' was being used loosely in this context. Perhaps it was being used to mean female.

I will tell you more about 'mrembo' in the next post.

Unknown

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard. Google

0 comments:

Feedback is always great; put your thoghts down, don`t be shy!!!